Thursday, July 31, 2008

Swimming in Love

I had the incredible opportunity to spend a week in Bimini, Bahamas swimming with wild dolphins in warm, turquoise waters. The dolphins teach you how to swim, play, BE present, and live in harmony with oneself and each other.

On my very first encounter, I was floating along the surface of the water (in the open ocean) with a mask and snorkel, and three bottle-nose dolphins swam towards me with this expression of playful innocence and curiosity. For a moment our eyes connected. As they paused to scan my human shape, I could feel the vibrations of their SONAR undulating like waves throughout my entire body. My mind became silent and empty. All I could feel was the pounding of my own heart overflowing with peace. Their look is one of deep knowing, trust, and total surrender. Amazed, I watched them as they slowly continue their journey towards the surface of the water.

Our group was blessed to have dolphin encounters each day. Our encounters with the spotted dolphins were indescribable, really. The spotted weave in and out of each other effortlessly, in a sacred dance. They invite you in, eagerly wanting to connect with you, swim with you, engage, so your only option is BE like them- mimic their behaviors and affection towards each other. Before you know it, you are diving below the surface of the water (doing silly tricks like cork-screws and holding your breath for longer you ever imagined) swimming in love with your fellow pod-mates. Essentially, dolphins are the yogis of the sea, morphing into conscious union with the Infinite.

The warm waters of Bimini have a magical healing affect, neutralizing any fear (of swimming in the open waters), doubt, conflict, or discontent, and holds you like you've always wanted to be held. The water welcomes you in and embraces every nook and cranny in your body. I would float on my back with my eyes closed, feeling the unconditional support of the entire universe all around me, whispering, "i love you".

No comments: